For: Backyard Habitat Certification Program | backyardhabitats.org
From: Upthentic Creative, Inc.
Date: October 21, 2022
Hi Susie, JP, and Megan!
Congratulations on taking the next step (and receiving the funding) for the website redesign project.
This contract outlines the project with details about timeline, process and scope. Please read and sign if it all looks good.
We look forward completing this project with you and the Backyard Habitat team.
Thank you again.
Jeanette & Dennis Vieira
01. Project Overview
The Brief: Project Snapshot, Approach & Creative Direction
Backyard Habitat Certification Program is redesigning and rebuilding their website with a fresh, modern look and feel as well as bringing the software up to date. The following are highlights of the project:
- New theme and updated website software*
- New page layouts designed for ease of use, readability and ADA compliance
- The use of a common standardized page editor software (WP block editor) that the team is already familiar with, for ease of maintenance
- New design and functionality of the header, footer and navigation for usability
*Please note: when we use the term website software, it includes plug-ins necessary to meet functionality requirements on the website. This does not include any custom development or changes to the existing Presspoint software.
Approach & Creative Direction
Our approach is to build a strategic website to serve as a robust communication tool—inviting interaction, providing credibility and elevating brand awareness.
Today's users are seeking online experiences that are visually stimulating and offer meaningful solutions with minimal effort. They expect the website to look sharp and function seamlessly across all devices—mobile to desktop.
We will be redesigning and developing a modernized website built to convey the value that Backyard Habitat Certification Program adds to its users and partners. To create a helpful resource that supports gardeners in their efforts to create natural backyard habitats.
The new website will be built to:
- Attract and engage urban and suburban Clackamas, Clark, Multnomah, and Washington county residents in the program while maintaining relevancy with BHCP’s existing audience
- Keep users connected by promoting email newsletter subscriptions
- Encourage users to take action in activities such as enrolling and staying involved in the certification process
Skills + Compassion + Focus
We keep our focus on brand building, website development best practices and usability to inform our guidance and our efforts on each step. Starting with our strategic discovery workshop we begin building your new website with an informed user-centric design vision, frontend and backend usability plan. We complete our work with training and ongoing support.
Scope: Project Essentials, and Investment
- Complete Redesign with Upgraded Theme
- All Project Essentials
- Custom "How to/Steps/Process" Infographic
This is a projection of the key dates and milestones for your project. Please note that delays in feedback turn-around times will push your project out past the stated end date.
The discovery phase informs which visual and strategic direction the design work will go in. This phase is very collaborative.
We want to dig in and understand your needs, and the needs of the people you currently serve and hope to serve. Only then can we begin to create a design that portrays the value you offer in a way that resonates with the people who matter: the people and communities you want to do help.
- Discovery worksheet
- Existing brand and creative marketing audit
- Existing website page and navigation audit [completed]
- Discovery review session
- Content strategy workshop
Allow 2 - 3 weeks
- Creation of new website page sitemap (complete page outline)
- Creation of new navigation hierarchy
- Set up of new website development environment
- Evaluation of third party software, includes group discussion regarding implementation of Presspoint into the new site structure
- Website base structure aka "The Prototype" is built (no design)
Allow 2 weeks
Based on the discovery work, we will create a customized design concept to support the brand, business and user goals. This will be presented with a high-level page design (typically the home page concept) plus key user interface module layouts, navigation design and a website style guide. Once we have your design direction locked-in, we can begin to construct the website.
- Website design presentation (your approval required)
- Website content delivery (supplied by you)
- Gathering and creation of graphics and imagery
- Your owned imagery to be delivered via Dropbox/Basecamp
- Photography and graphics such as Illustrations and Icons (stock or custom) to be procured by you
- Discovery session
- Concept wireframe
- Illustration of infographic
Allow 3+ weeks
This next phase is where we roll up our sleeves and begin turning the prototype and interface designs into a fully working website.
- Framework and navigation are built with responsive breakpoints
- Website pages are built with branded layouts
- Graphics and content are added
- Existing blog data is migrated to new website
- Third party software is embedded
Once all pages are built, we'll present it to you and go through the details in accordance with the objectives originally set.
- On-screen website click-through is scheduled and conducted
- Client to deliver final changes, amendments, edits
Allow 3-5 weeks
Once all of your details are ready to go live, we begin the launch process.
We put the new website through a pre-launch check list to insure nothing is missed and the launch goes smoothly.
- Set launch date (allow for three day "content freeze")
- Testing & quality assurance checks (pre-launch check list)
- Move to live servers: The launch!
- Announce to search engines (and your community!)
- Congratulations—Time to celebrate!
Allow 3 days
We provide training and support with every website we build to be sure you can jump right in and make the most of your new asset.
- We'll schedule a one hour staff training session with screen share and Q&A for the new site
- As an existing website care client, your website care plan will continue providing ongoing maintenance and support
Process & Expectations, How to Book Your Project
Our Website Development Process
Our web development process is based on the scores of websites we've built paired with listening and adapting to our client's needs. We aim to make building your website as smooth and simple as possible while achieving great results. We've defined your custom timeline above however you may also review our standardized website process in detail.
Process & Expectations
We use a systematic approach for our projects to help them run smoothly. This helps us maintain clear communication and transparency for a positive and successful project outcome.
Below are key takeaways from our terms and conditions. Please read the full Terms & Conditions of this contract.